World Egg Day – since 1996, an annual celebration of the amazing health benefits of eggs and their importance in our diets – is recognized on the second Friday of October each year and embraces all the wonderful features of nature’s greatest protein.
The theme for this year’s World Egg Day celebration is “Eggs for a Healthy Future”, highlighting the important role that eggs play in promoting overall health and well-being, now and for generations to come.
Eggs are a rich source of essential nutrients that our bodies need to function properly. They contain high-quality proteins, vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats. They are truly nature’s superfood. Some of the key nutrients found in eggs and their benefits include:
- Protein: Eggs are a great source of protein which is essential for building and repairing tissues in our body, as well as helping to build muscle, curb hunger and boost the immune system.
- Vitamin D: Eggs are one of the few dietary sources of vitamin D, which helps maintain strong bones and teeth.
- Choline: This nutrient is important for brain development and function, especially during pregnancy.
- Lutein and zeaxanthin: These antioxidants help protect our eyes from age-related diseases such as cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Vitamin B12: Eggs are a good source of this vitamin, which is necessary for red blood cell formation and nerve function.
Eggs stand out as a nutritional powerhouse, boasting a complete set of all nine essential amino acids. Their amino acid composition and ideal ratio make them a superb match for fulfilling the body’s dietary requirements.
In addition to these nutrients, eggs are also low in calories and are an extremely versatile food that can be cooked in many ways. So whether you like yours boiled, fried, scrambled or poached, make sure you celebrate World Egg Day with a couple of cracking yolks!
Proud to support the nation’s egg farmers
As a leader in livestock management and biosecurity, Livetec is committed to supporting egg farmers across the UK. We understand the value of eggs as a nutritious food source and we strive to enhance biosecurity measures on farms to ensure the health and welfare of egg-laying hens.
Our innovative solutions and expertise in biosecurity measures have been designed and refined over our many years of experience to help both broiler and egg farmers maintain a healthy flock, and mitigate their risks of disease ingress.
Find out how we can help your flock here.